Carbon Monoxide is called the silent killer. This gas is odorless and can strike you down without warning. Recently, Truckee Police were called to a home in Tahoe Donner on a welfare check. Unfortunately, the two men found inside were deceased by the time they arrived. The cause of death has been determined to be carbon monoxide poisoning.
Apparently, a recent renovation was done on the home without a building permit or engineered or approved plans. Please don’t become a statistic. Building permits and approved plans are a means of ensuring safety in the building process. Make sure your contractor has these, and that they are a licensed and insured contractor.
If you have a CO detector in your home already, good for you! Remember to make sure it’s batteries are in proper working order. Changing them with the change of daylight savings time is a good reminder.
If you do not have one, the Town of Truckee Building Department and Truckee Fire District are supplying carbon monoxide detectors, free of charge while supplies last. Get more information about CO poisoning and safety, as well as the Co detector giveaway here.